Friday, October 08, 2010

Day 8 of 30 - A photo that makes you angry/sad


Here's a rant about geek culture.

I am a super-geek in many ways, but I have never, NEVER understood the creepy slavery fetish that saturates Star Wars fandom.

Slavery is wrong. It is so wrong, we had a war about it. And yet... we're presenting it as something fun and a little goofy. I just don't get it.

Every year I see dozens of ComicCon photos that look like this. I never see any African-Americans in these pictures, and I have yet to hear or read what I consider a defensible position of the phenomenon. (And "Dude, she is hot," is not what I would consider a defensible position.)

I am all for bikinis and I am all for dressing up as Star Wars characters, but this is wrong and not even close to being erotic or fun.

So... yeah. One of my rants.

No comments: