Thursday, April 05, 2007

So I’m on Twitter now

For the record, I think, on a conceptual level, Twitter is another stupid attempt to reduce everything conceivable experience to the point where it will fit on a bumper sticker.

But someone invited me to join, so… yeah. I joined. The same thing happened with MySpace. Someone I know got on, asked me to get on and, whoa, there I am.

So far, it is not as painful as I thought it would be, although the character limit in the post is driving me crazy. (Plus the word "twitter" also sounds like a description of facial tics. As in, "I know when I've been working too hard because my left eye starts to twitter." It doesn't sound like a fun place to be, emotionally.)

The best thing about the Twittering experience is the way I can embed the results into the ol’ blog here. (Look on the right and you’ll see that little Twitter box that doesn't really, you know, twitter.)

I write and edit material all the time, but only a little bit of it shows up on the site. I have a backlog of half-finished blog posts on my C: drive and haven’t posted anything in days. And don't get me started on the backlog of podcasts. Seriously, I have close to six hours worth of audio on my C: drive that has been screaming to be edited for months.

To fill the gaps between real blog posts, I put out links to other material – internet videos primarily. But now that I have this Twitter thing going, I might just stick to that instead. So at least people will know I’m doing something even though this blog doesn’t indicate it.

We shall see how it works out.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

You joined MySpace because a chicken told you to? Honestly.

Interesting phenomenon. I'm curious to see where this leads. I wonder if it would help me remember what I'm doing during the day--I sorta use the blog to keep track of my life, but this might be better for smaller things. Hmmmm.

M. Robert Turnage said...

1) It was a female chicken.
2) I have a difficult time saying no to any woman for any reason, ever. It can be done, but it is always a struggle.
3) I also have a hard time saying no to websites, unless they have flashing banner ads or animated .gifs. But if they want me to type something on them, I have to admit I am weak.