Thursday, April 12, 2007

Kurt Vonnegut 1922 - 2007

Kurt Vonnegut passed away.

I have a million stories about how I've loved his work (two favorite novels - Cat's Cradle and Galapagos), but the one I feel like sharing is more about his fans.

Back when I frequented bars and ordered vodka martinis, I happened to be at a bar and I happened to order a vodka martini.

When the bartender handed it to me, he said, "Breakfast of Champions."

To which I responded, "Kilgore Trout is on the loose again." Then I doodled an asterisk on a napkin and held it up.

The bartender said, "I've been tending bar for 20 years and you are the first person who got the reference." The rest of the drinks that evening were free.

Kurt Vonnegut inspired his readers. He got them thinking in ways they hadn't thought before and he got them willing to talk about things they normally wouldn't talk about. Every Vonnegut fan I have met has been thoughtful, interesting, and good to be around.

Despite his cynicism, he brought out the best in his fellow man.

No comments: