Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Wherein I Once Again Proclaim the My Wife is the Gold Standard

When I was 15, I had a crazy-mad crush on Laurie Anderson. Not only was she a wacked-out performance artist who was exciting and funny, she had also been a cheerleader. Oh, that Laurie... always challenging my expectations by simultaneously embodying two actualities most people would consider mutually exclusive.

Anyway, I saw this great little short video of Laurie Anderson where she begins the conversation with the words, "You know, I hate television." And I immediately thought of my wife, because she is the type of person who begins conversations with the words, "You know, I hate television."



As I get further into my marriage, I'm noticing that my thought process becomes more and more like this. Instead of going, "Whoa. My wife sounds just like Laurie Anderson," I go, "Whoa. Laurie Anderson sounds just like my wife." It is a subtle, but important change from when I was single, because she has now become the gold standard that I use to measure other people.

Sorry, ladies of the world.

1 comment:

InvisibleMarketing said...

I have the best husband EVER.

And full props for the PSA. Thank you, Laurie Anderson, for immortalizing that special television moment.