Wednesday, June 20, 2007

What I Have Been Up To

I haven’t been posting much lately because I’m deeply involved in Script-Frenzy this month.

The idea is you write a feature-length film script in 30 days. 20,000 words of which I have completed close to 6,000. (Don't worry, I always write like this - the closer to the deadline the more work I actually accomplish.)

I decided to do a sort of sequel/update of Christopher Marlowe’s “Doctor Faustus,” but thanks tothe combination of a looming deadline and my questionable talent, the script is quickly turning into a grindhouse-style horror film and not necessarily the life-changing art film I set out to write.

Not all is lost, though. I was able to work in this scene, based on a true-life event I witnessed in the Oklahoma City bus station sometime in the early 90s.

EXT. BUS STATION
An old man and a 20ish woman sit together on a bench. There are two children running around, screaming and generally being a nuisance.

OLD MAN
‘Scuse me ma’am, do you mind if I ask a personal question?

TWENTY SOMETHING WOMAN
No. I don’t mind.

OLD MAN
You beat your kids?

TWENTY SOMETHING WOMAN
No. I don’t believe in that.


The old man mulls this over.

OLD MAN
Want me to?

No comments: