Sunday, September 14, 2008

My Cultural Heritage

Not a day goes by when someone doesn't stop me and ask, "Excuse me, sir, but how did you get so funky?" And then I am asked to demonstrate how to bust a move.

This usually ends with a round of applause, some gratuitous "whoop whoop"ing and maybe a few choice words that end in -izzle. Fo' reals, ya'all.

The sad truth of the matter is this - I did not do anything to learn how to be funky, how to perfect the flow of my verse, or how to drop a beat. All of these are just a product of my rich cultural heritage.

Check it out, ya'alls:



It cannot get better than that. I am weeping from the pure funkatude and funkadelic funkyness of it. THIS is my cultural heritage. In fact, I am pretty sure I am related to all of these people. We get together, all of us homies in our hood, and we immediately fall into a nice little groove.

And this is a beautiful thing. Fo' reals, ya'all.

Shout out to my home slice Alex for sending me this video.

11 comments:

heather said...

and they don't even have the good sense to be embarassed!
*hanging head in shame to be a white woman*
couldn't watch the whole thing, made it about 35 seconds in and had to stop the madness. sad thing is, i can see this type of thing happening at the baptist church my mother used to drag us too. not the one in florida, we ~liked~ that one, but new york baptists? hella no! ;)

Maida said...

You have to watch until the end - because dude starts poppin' and moonwalking. It's such a delight!

I'm not caucasian, but I'm married to a white guy, so this is particularly funny to me.

ROTFLMAO!

M. Robert Turnage said...

Heather, my wife couldn't get through it either.

Maida, it is funny because it is true.

alex said...

This is what happens when the choreographer/performer from a Six Flags show finds Jesus.

Susan said...

This is awesome!

M. Robert Turnage said...

Alex, my one line quip was, "Looks like Footloose was wrong about religious people and dancing," but yours trumps mine hands down.

Susan, I live to be awesome. ;)

NoRegrets said...

Crap, because of Maida's comment I have to go look at it again. Crap.

Unknown said...

Hey,

I noticed on one of your previous blogs that you were using 10 Instrumentals for Film Television and Radio, by Jim Ward Morris. I wanted to thank you for your enthusiasm for that CD.

Carly
(Mrs. Jim Ward Morris)

M. Robert Turnage said...

Nor, the renewed mind is the key.

Carly! YES! I absolutely love that Jim Ward Morris CD! I have no idea how you found this blog, but that CD is one of my most cherished possessions. I love saying good things about it.

Tera said...

Damn...this video was no longer available! And I'm not going to tell you "which" funky I thought you were talking about before I read further!!! LMAO!

M. Robert Turnage said...

Tera - I am sorry to hear that. It was a video of very stiff, yet over-emotive people playing "music" and "dancing." Really, it put Lawrence Welk to shame in terms of whitebreadedness.