Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Netflix Queue 2: Electric Boogaloo

I realize that posting entries of your Netflix Queue is probably one of the stupidest things to do with your blog. It is like one of those three-in-the-morning-after-a-night-of-drinking ideas that seem brilliant at the time, but in the light of day, just make you cringe. (Hey! I’ve got a great idea! I’ll just list a bunch of movies and people will know that I’m interested in silent films and documentaries! That way, I won’t have to write an entry about how much I like silent films and documentaries!)

Still, so many of my conversations wander around to movies. After three years managing a video store, I’m known as a “movie guy” and people tend to listen to (if not necessarily respect – cough cough – Filmspotting – cough cough) my opinion.

Truth of the matter is, I don’t know that much about the movies and more often than not, I just bluff my way through more than half of my movie conversations. There are tricks to sounding smarter about movies than you really are, but that is another blog entry.

I will share this little tidbit about my early relationship with the movies - I made up entire movies based on the commercials of existing movies. Take, for example, The Shining. When that movie was in theaters, I was 7, and there was no way my parents would take me to see it. I became obsessed with the commericals, though. So I made up my own version of The Shining incorporating all of the images from the commercials. I would spend entire afternoons entertaining myself with wild speculation. What was chasing the kid through the maze? Was the shining a gateway to another world? It was like I created a personal version of The Shining each day. When I finally got around to seeing the film years later, I was a little disappointed.

On to the movie list!

Currently in the Netflix Queue at approximately the 100 to 200 positions:

  • For All Mankind
  • October
  • God Said Ha!
  • Kurosawa: A Documentary
  • Xerxes: Handel
  • Sanjuro
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 10
  • Landmarks of Early Film #2: Magic Melies
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 11
  • Nanook of the North
  • National Geographic: The Photographers
  • Strike
  • Mozart: Don Giovanni: Teatro Alla Scala
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 12
  • Great Animation Studios: Fleischer Studios
  • San Francisco Opera: Vivaldi
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 13
  • Frank Lloyd Wright
  • Shostakovich: Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk
  • Alexander Nevsky
  • Hitchcock: Bon Voyage / Aventure Malgache
  • Amarcord
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 14
  • Snow Falling on Cedars
  • Monty Python: The Life of Python: Vol. 1
  • Monty Python: The Life of Python: Vol. 2
  • Chaplin's Essanay Comedies: Vol. 1
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 15
  • Annie Get Your Gun
  • A Streetcar Named Desire: Andre Previn
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 16
  • Nabucco: Verdi: Teatro Di San Carlo
  • I, Claudius: Disc 1
  • I, Claudius: Disc 2
  • I, Claudius: Disc 3
  • I, Claudius: Disc 4
  • High Plains Drifter
  • I, Claudius: Disc 5/The Epic
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 17
  • Like Water for Chocolate
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 18
  • Lost Horizon
  • Albino Alligator
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 19
  • Walkabout
  • Jamaica Inn
  • Rollerball
  • Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 20
  • Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars: Disc 1
  • Flash Gordon: Space Soldiers
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 21
  • The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
  • Black Orpheus
  • Nosferatu
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 22
  • The Phantom of the Opera
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 23
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 24
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 25
  • Rage Against the Machine: Revolution USA
  • Hitchcock: Blackmail and Easy Virtue
  • Murder!
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 26
  • Anchors Aweigh
  • Camelot
  • Carousel
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 27
  • Going My Way / Holiday Inn
  • South Pacific
  • State Fair
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 28
  • Victor / Victoria
  • Wages of Fear
  • On the Town
  • Drugstore Cowboy
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 29
  • Diva
  • Swingers
  • Head: The Monkees
  • The Great Escape
  • Bullitt
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 30
  • Papillon
  • The Talented Mr. Ripley
  • Platoon
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 31
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 32
  • Civil War Films of the Silent Era
  • The End of the Affair
  • The Dead Zone
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 33
  • Bonnie and Clyde
  • Reap the Wild Wind
  • Way Down East
  • Orphans of the Storm
  • America
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 34
  • Sally of the Sawdust
  • The Battle of the Sexes
  • A Streetcar Named Desire
  • Barry Lyndon
  • Nashville
  • Chaplin Mutuals: Vol. 1
  • Paths of Glory
  • The Twilight Zone: Vol. 35
  • Gentleman's Agreement
  • Dracula
  • The Saphead (Silent)

No comments: