Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Top 10 Great Places to Waste Your Time on the Internet – 2007 Edition

This is the time of year when people are making Top 10 Lists. Top 10 Movies, Top 10 Albums, Top 10 Books, Top 10 Magic Television Moments, Top 10 Wittiest T-Shirts, etc.

Well, I am not qualified to make any of those lists. I am not a slave to the now, and I don’t really have the time to sample every piece of culture that comes down the pike.

However, I am qualified to point you in the direction of some great websites where you can waste hours upon hours.

So, here it is, my Top 10 Great Places to Waste Time on the Internet. (Ok, it is more like Top 18 list.)

1. Homestar Runner – Web cartoons! This is a perennial favorite. The only downside is that they aren’t consistently funny, but if you had to create a cartoon a week, you would run into the same problem. They’re either brilliantly funny or just kind of strange.

2. The Onion/The Onion A.V. Club (tie) – My dream job is to work for this place, but still maintain a salary I can live on. Sadly, being bitter and funny and having a great salary are mutually exclusive.

3. Aquarium Drunkard/Gorilla vs. Bear (tie) – I troll a lot of .mp3 blogs, and these are two of my favorites. Aquarium Drunkard is a great source of music, but Gorilla vs. Bear is local and focuses on the Dallas music scene.

4. Stickfigures in Peril/I can has Cheezburger (tie) – What would the internet be without funny pictures? Stickfigures in Peril is one of my favorite Flickr groups. And, yes, I know every cool person on the planet hates hates hates websites dedicated to cute cat pictures with funny captions, but some of these are just REALLY FUNNY. Like this one:



5. Overheard in New York/Overheard in the Office/Overheard at the Beach/Overheard Evreywhere (tie) – Eavesdrop and send transcripts of the conversation to everyone on the internet!

6. Indexed/XKCD (tie) – The things printed on these websites are proof positive that the funniest and most insightful things also happen to be the simplest.

7. Audition – One of my favorite podcasts that focuses on culture and intellectual pursuits. If I were to rank these in order of most important on top, this would be #1. Instead, I ranked this list by the amounts of time I waste on the websites.

8. Go Fug Yourself – After listening to the lofty and high-minded Audition podcast, you can go to this website and read all sorts of snark-snark-snirk about fashion disasters. For fun, you can be like me and not really understand why the commentators are so offended by such and such outfit because bright yellow plumage looks just fine on her.

9. Despair/The Bacon Show (tie) – Ok, Despair is so bleakly and cynically hilarious that it can sometimes depress you. Which is where a blog dedicated to bacon recipes comes in. Because it is bacon, it is inherently good.

10. Bully Says: Comics Oughta Be Fun! I read waaaay tooo many blogs and websites about comics and webcomics, but this one is my favorite. A stuffed bull reads comics, P.G. Wodehouse, and sometimes does fun little projects.

1 comment:

Bully said...

Thank you for the kind words and the el-link-o! Now I need to check out the other nine. Surfing ahoy!